Open Rank Professor of Philosophy
St. Patrick’s Seminary & University (STPSU) invites applications for a full-time, continuing position in Philosophy (open rank) beginning in Fall 2019. STPSU is the Roman Catholic Seminary of the Archdiocese of San Francisco; candidates for the position must support the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the seminary’s mission to prepare men for the priesthood.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A doctorate in Philosophy
- A strong background in the philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas
- The ability to teach a variety of core courses, such as: Ancient and Medieval Philosophy, Modern and Contemporary Philosophy, Epistemology, Logic, Philosophical Anthropology, Philosophy of Nature, Metaphysics, Philosophy of God, Philosophical Ethics
- A commitment to a liberal education and familiarity with the Catholic intellectual tradition
- An ability to receive a canonical mission
- Roman Catholic priest and/or member of Catholic religious order
- Facility in drawing the connections between Philosophy and Theology
- Willingness to serve as a formation advisor and/or spiritual director to seminarians
- Familiarity with priestly formation
Duties include teaching 5 courses a year (2/3) in the Pre-Theology Program at SPSU, hold office hours, perform department administrative work, and participate in assessment activities.
Candidates should submit (i) a letter of application that addresses how the candidate will make a positive contribution to SPSU’s mission; (ii) a curriculum vitae; (iii) transcripts of all graduate work; (iv) three letters of recommendation, submitted separately by recommenders; (v) teaching evaluations (as applicable). Candidates who are ABD may apply but must provide assurance of degree completion by August 2019. Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Download job description
Questions may be addressed, and applications may be submitted to:
Karen C. Chan, Ph.D.
St. Patrick’s Seminary & University
320 Middlefield Rd.
Menlo Park, CA 94025