Five seminarians from the Archdiocese of San Francisco and the Dioceses of Oakland, Spokane, and Sacramento last week went through the Rite of Admission to Candidacy for Holy Orders. Bishop Thomas Daly of Spokane was the celebrant for the Holy Mass. They are:
- Mr. Gerardo Vázquez - Archdiocese of San Francisco
- Mr. Jerald Marc Geronimo - Archdiocese of San Francisco
- Mr. Ramon Urbina - Diocese of Oakland
- Mr. Andrew O’Leary - Diocese of Spokane
- Mr. Erik Amando Pereira - Diocese of Sacramento
Similar to the moment when the Twelve responded to Christ’s call, this is a rite of passage for the candidate for Holy Orders. Their Admission to Candidacy is the start of an important grace-filled final period of preparation for the priesthood. The candidates are called by name and are given a blessing as they enter this next phase of their journey.
You can see a recording of the ceremony here. Also, below is a photo story of the event prepared by San Francisco seminarian Dereck Delgado.