In addition to learning from our first-rate faculty, seminarians at St. Patrick’s Seminary & University have many opportunities to learn from other experts – both local and not-so-local. During the course of the academic year, many faculty members invite guest speakers to come into the classroom to share their expertise with the seminarians. Not only do these guest speakers enrich student learning in the classroom environment, but these close personal interactions provide opportunities for seminarians to build lasting relationships with these experts. Our future priests then have a network of relationships with experts to whom they can turn when vexing questions or the need for support arise.
In the Fall 2017 semester, the following guest speakers visited our classrooms:
- Fr. Gary Thomas, Pastor of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Sarataga, CA and Exorcist for the Diocese of San Jose, spoke to students in the Mariology course about how Christ and Mary -- the new Adam and the new Eve -- conquer sin, death, and the demonic powers. His talk integrated biblical theology, spirituality, and pastoral experience (the latter enriched by Fr. Gary's special ministry).
- Fr. Alexander Castillo, Director of the Office of Worship for the Diocese of Oakland, give a presentation on Mary and the Liturgical Year in the Mariology course
- Fr. Jim Sullivan, Chaplain and Theology Teacher at Bishop O'Dowd H.S. and priest of the Diocese of Oakland, also visited the Mariology course. His gave a presentation on Our Lady's apparitions at Guadalupe and Medjugorje, the Marian messages, the Church's assessment, and the spirituality/piety they foster. Fr. Sullivan is a sought-after speaker on Mariology in northern California and regularly leads pilgrimages to these sites.
- Mr. and Mrs. Camilo and Hallie Colorado, presenters of the “Engaging the Heart” Program in the Archdiocese of San Francisco, visited the Theology of Marriage course to speak about their experiences with Marriage Preparation.
- His Excellency, The Most Reverend Salvatore Cordileone spoke to the seminarians in the Theology of Marriage class about nullity and dissolution.
- Susan Mulheron, Chancellor for Canonical Affairs for the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, was a guest speaker (via Skype) for the Introduction to Canon Law course. She spoke about the workings of the diocesan chancery and the tribunal.
- His Eminence William Cardinal Levada visited the Apologetics course and spoke about the renewed need for the project of apologetics in the modern context.